Question: Chronic cough at 32 weeks pregnant

mliw1020 - Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm 32 weeks pregnant. I've been sick for going on eight weeks. I have congestion, bad cough, and I feel horrible. I've been coughing up phlegm, varying in colors from clear, yellow, or green. When I go to sleep or lay down my cough is much worse. I don't sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time. I wake up from coughing and not being able to breath. For about the first week or so I lost my voice and began coughing. It just kept getting worse. I've been taking mucinex, sudafed, robitussin, Tylenol sinus, and benadryl. Nothing seems to help. After being sick for about four or five weeks I talked my gyno into giving me a prescription. I started with tessalon pearles (forgive my spelling). It didn't help, so then they gave an antibiotic and tussinex. During the week I took the last two listed medications, I began to feel much better. My symptoms started getting better. The mucus amount began to decrease and started to get clear. My symptoms never went completely away, but I thought I was getting better. Since finishing my medicine my symptoms have gotten worse much faster than before. I called my gyno they don't want to give me any more medicine. They wanted me to see my family physician. I called my family doctor they wont even make me an appointment because I'm pregnant. I'd just like to get another person's advice. I don't know what to do. Do you think I should go to the hospital or contact some other doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:31 am

I would see your OB. Let the doctor know your family doctor is not comfortable seeing you when pregnant. Talk to the doctor; not the assistant or receptionist. You can leave a message and ask him/her to call you back at the end of the day if necessary but you want to speak to (or see) the doctor about your concerns. This doctor may be able to talk to your family doctor and explain the concerns and possible need for more testing to find out why you are not getting well. I suspect your OB just doesn't feel confident in addressing other unrelated concerns. The communication between the two of them could be the best solution. That way your doctor can ask the gynecologist if he/she is comfortable with whatever test or prescription is needed.

|