Question: Irregular periods and clotting

small21 - Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:17 am

I have had the Implanon in since July 2008 and before that I was on the DepoPevera injections. With the injections my period stopped and my doctor told me it would most likely be the same with the implant. I had slight spotting after about three months but after that I now have extremely irregular periods. My fiance works away for two weeks and is home for one, and it started just coming when he was home, but now it stops for about a day or two and then comes back which is affecting our sex life as neither me nor my fiance are not totally comfortable having sex while im on my period. It ranges in heaviness, but the one thing that I am worried about is the very very heavy clots I find. I seem to have clots every time I check when I go to the toilet. I still have the implant and apart from the period problems like it as there is nothing to remember to do for three years! Any advice would be appreciated, thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:24 am

Period irregularities are the most common reasons for having the implant removed. If the clotting and bleeding is heavy you should discuss it with your doctor, especially since it has become more of a problem recently. You should be receiving regular care while using this form of contraception. While clotting with periods is not considered a problem, the frequency you report is obviously interfering in your life. Of course the clotting of greater concern is deep vein thrombosis and not this type of clot. You should not smoke when using this method.

If this method is unacceptable after investigation, you might consider an IUD such as Mirena. It also has the benefit of no worry for several years and in most cases periods become scant, though there can be an adjustment period at the beginning when bleeding may be heavier and irregular.

I hope this helps.
 hopeless123 - Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 pm

I am 26y/o female that has just recently started getting heavy menstation, i find myself having to change my tampon and pad every hour due to heavy bleeding and large blood clots as well as very painfull cramps is this normal and should i be concerned.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Sometimes you are likely to have heavier periods. It is usually not worrisome unless you soak a pad or tampon every hour for several hours in a row. If so, you should see your doctor. Excessive bleeding over time can lead to anemia.

propanechick - Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am

Hi I am 46 years old a couple of years ago I had a D & C. The problem started when I didn't have a period for a couple months and then all the sudden, I got my period, and it was extremely heavy and full of clots, this went on for 2 months, because i wasn't having any cramps, I thought my hormones were just out of whack, I finally went to the ER because I was feeling dizzy and faint at work. I went a a Gyn and she put me on some pills that didn't work/gave me a vaginal sonogram and a mammongram. But I was never given a vaginal exam. When she couldn't find anything, she gave me a D & C which worked like magic, but now 2 years later it is happening again and this time, I am having, anxiety, dizziness, heart palpitations, I originally thought I was having heart problems and got some tests done on my heart, but everything came out fine, even my blood work came back ok as far as high blood pressure and colestrol. Should I be worried. I have moved, so I don't have a Gyn at this time.
 he1pp1ease - Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:58 am

Hi there, i have been having fertility issues & my doctor has advised me that i am not ovulating. This month was my last course of clomid & i am now waiting on an appointment with the assisted conception clinic. My issue is that my periods have been very erratic (as i am not ovulating i assume) i have gone from a 26 day cycle to a 46 day cycle, then 3 months at a 36 day cycle & this month my period arrived on day 26 (yesterday). Today i am in alot of pain and my period is extremely heavy. I have suffered heavy periods for the past 2 months now (often lasting 11 days or so) but i have not felt any pain. Also, the 1st 2 days of my period are normally very light, becoming heavier as the days progress but yesterday i woke up with my period & i felt cramp feelings for a few days before it arrived. Im really concerned that something may be wrong, but don't want to contact my doctor unnecessarily. Why could i have such a heavy period and pain but not ovulate? Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 2:13 pm

User avatar To Propanechick,

At your age, this kind of hormonal irregularity is actually quite common and usually not cause for worry, though you should follow up. Heavy bleeding is a symptom of perimenopause - the period of a few years prior to actual cessation of menstruation or menopause. The D& C took care of the overgrowth of uterine lining tissue, caused by changes in hormones, but it eventually comes back because the hormone changes are still present. Some women require another D&C or so during this time and having the uterine lining checked is a good idea too, just to be sure the cells are normal. This is usually done along with the D&C or hysteroscopy.

There are other procedures that can also be employed such as uterine lining ablation if needed. This avenue can always be pursued even after a second D&C if that's the avenue you pursue, but you will need to see a gynecologist to find the best treatment for this temporary but difficult condition.

Eventually you will enter menopause, which for many women is much less symptomatic than the perimenopause period and it's great to no longer have the periods to deal with!

Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 2:18 pm

User avatar Hello He1pp1ease,
I'm afraid period pain is not related to ovulation. You have a period when you have not become pregnant, so regardless of the reason this has not occurred, your body gets rid of the excess lining. In some cases a heavy period suggests a very early miscarriage (before you would even suspect pregnancy) and there's no way to know this. I do know of women who only ovulate occasionally who do achieve pregnancy eventually, even without intervention, so don't give up hope. Assisted reproduction does improve the odds and allows us to be more successful than we might otherwise be.

Don't worry about the painful period, though it could also possibly be a symptom of another condition such as endometriosis. I imagine your doctor will be evaluating this as well since it is one cause of infertility. I suspect the symptoms are related to your hormonal fluctuation which is not predictable.

Best wishes and good luck with your efforts.
 GG211 - Sat May 02, 2009 2:43 am

I hope you can help me...

I took a ECP in Jan of 2008-after completion, I had a cycle that lasted consistently for 2.5 months (increasing in heaviness of flow). My Dr. immediately placed me on FemCon FE. I took this for about a year and experienced some light spotting between cycles throughout the year but my Dr. thought the hormones needed to adjust in my body. I continued to take FemCon and missed a pill in Jan of 2009...My cycle has been haywire ever since. I basically have been on my cycle since right after Valentine's Day in Feb-with a few days non bleeding.
The last week of this past March my Dr did a pap, blood tests and pregnancy tests...everything was normal so he had me take 3 Yasmin pills a day for 8 days to stop the bleeding and I was to follow that with taking the FemCon. I did that-day 6 or 7 my cycle stopped. But 3 days into taking the new FemCon pack my cycle started again. The Dr. changed me to Yasmin-I took Yasmin for a 6 days and saw a daily increase in the bright redness of the blood, the heaviness of the flow and cramping....
Today I called my Dr and asked if I can just stop taking these BC pills altogether.
(I recently moved and therefore can't see my reg gynecologist) His answer was: discontinue for a week- go see a gyne in your new location if bleeding returns.

My question is: What do you think about abruptly discontinuing the pills OR should I do 3 pills for 8 days again then stop?? PLEASE HELP I AM TERRIFIED!
 fmk09 - Thu May 07, 2009 8:05 am

I hope you can give me an answer.

At the end of last month I had a very heavy period where I was having to change super+ tampons every hour or two as I would soak through. This is much heavier than normal. Also it came earlier than I was expecting, by about 4 days but if anything I'm normally late. There was no cramping that I'm used to. There was a sudden sharp stabbing pain and when I got upstairs I had bled through my trousers. This pain and very heavy bleeding lasted about three days and then for the rest of the week it seemed almost normal. I haven't long been off the pill and have been having unprotected sex with my fiancé. Does this sound like my body readjusting? Could it have been an early miscarriage or will I never know?
 Passionate - Thu May 07, 2009 8:49 am

hi i am 19 yrs old and since 2 or 3 years i m having irregular periods like i come every two months for 5 days and m a cancer patient also i had my chemo abt 5 years ago.and i hav acne also...and im very worried abt my priods because m getting married after 1 and a half years .is that any complication for me?my doctr advice me to FSH Lh test the result is this

FSH:
unit:miu/ml
follicular-phase:3.9-10.0
mid cycle:6.6-29.0
luteal phase:2.3-8.0
post menopause26.5-139
male:1.711.0
children"0.5-3.3
what does that mean?

Insulin test:2.6-24.9uU/ml
estradiol:
follicular phase:30-120pg
luteal:70-250pg/ml

Please help me?em worried
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 2:30 pm

User avatar Hi GG211,
You should be fine to stop abruptly. Obviously your hormones are a bit out of whack and stopping should not cause you any more grief than what you currently experience. This is not a serious problem; just a nuisance. It is worth seeing what your body does with this in the coming week. You may just benefit from a break in the hormonal contraception. Hopefully, you will be able to schedule with a new provider soon for a full evaluation.

Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 2:36 pm

User avatar Hello FMK09,
This is one of those cases where you will probably never know. We can only guess how many miscarriages occur prior to a woman's knowledge or even suspicion of pregnancy. Because period changes at times are normal, there is really no way to know if it was just normal variation. Chances are that throughout your childbearing years you will have times of missed periods, late periods, early periods, light and heavy ones. It is normal to have such variations so don't worry, but don't expect to have an answer for it either.

Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 2:43 pm

User avatar Hello Passionate,

It is irresponsible for a doctor to order tests, give you results but not take time to explain these to you. Lab values vary and the timing of the testing makes a difference so the values themselves are merely a part of the puzzle of diagnosis. Taken with the rest of the history and physical it can help the doctor to find the correct diagnosis and treatment. You should schedule an appointment to discuss the lab findings with your doctor. The notations "male" and "children" are referring to ranges the lab has determined for those groups as opposed to "women". The reference ranges help put the numbers in perspective with the particular lab standard values.

I suspect the goal is to rule out PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Irregular menses and acne are common symptoms in this disorder.

|