Question: Birth Control, headache, and blood clotting risks

nz2009 - Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:00 am

What is your experience with Microgynon 20ED? I am at a conflict with what experience has been and what has been prescribed. I guess you could say I am a little fearful and timid about starting birth control again.

I took Yasmin for a couple of months. It was prescribed to help alleviate intolerable pain on my first day of menstruation. It was great for that. My cramps were what is probably normal for most people...where regular ibuprofen makes it tolerable. However I had terrible side effects during my second month daily pills: severe headache like no other (lasted 10 days) and elevated blood pressure (blood pressure is usually excellent). After going to urgent care and declining a CATScan (too expensive), I figured that the only thing different in my life was starting on Yasmin. I went off it and my blood pressure went back down. In addition my headaches were greatly minimized. I don't think headaches are caused by high blood pressure but I do think that the Yasmin affected both to be a side affect of its use.

Now I've moved and recently went to a new doctor for an unrelated issue but thought I'd ask about going on birth control to help with the horrendous first day pain on my period (the pain is unbearable). He prescribed Microgynon 20ED. I told him all about the last experience but he didn't seem to register it or really listen. He said to come back in a couple of months to check up on it. I thought that maybe this may act differently for me till I read the paper inside on side effects. My mother, father, brother, and sister have all had a blod clot or stroke(s) before. I am fearful of extreme headache again. Is there any BC out there without these side effects and what is your feeling on Microgynon 20ED?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:04 pm

You are right that there are concerns with blood clots in any oral contraceptives but if you are a non-smoker without a personal history of clots, your risk is still quite low. Some side effects of the pill disappear after a few months so if you do experience headaches or other problems, patience may take care of it eventually. If the side effects are intolerable, it just may not be worth it. Every woman is different and what works well for one may not for another, so I can't really advise you on this particular pill for you.

You may prefer to try a different type of birth control such as an IUD which has a lowered risk of such side effects. Talk to your health care provider about other options.

|