Question: Adrafinil and birth control

425runner - Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:39 pm

Can you please tell me if taking 300-600mg Adrafinil (pre-cursor to Modafinil) once or twice a week will decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills?
I'm taking Levlen 1.5/30 and don't want to get pregnant.

I'm aware that long term use of Modafinil (Provigil) decreases the effectiveness of birth control and it's not safe to rely on it.

Please advise,

Thank you!

"Worried student"
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:04 am

It is not known for certain if the effectiveness of the birth control will be decreased. However, these two are used together so there is not strong suspicion of serious interference. Since you don't want to take a chance, it would be wise to use a second method of birth control while taking the Adrafinil and discuss this with the prescribing physician.