News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: X-rays during pregnancy

MarMez - Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:55 pm

My wife ( 23 years old ) had an x-ray done for her chest and stomach on January 8th, 2009. She was also on the pill at the time and I guess after she got pregnant she kept taking the pills for about 5 to 6 days. On her next cycle, she only had spotting for her mentruations. Now 2 weeks later she finds out she is pregant and is 5 weeks along. I would like to know if that x-ray was or will be damaging to the embryo? If the spotting is a normal occurence in early pregnangy... she has 3 kids already and tells me she never in her life had spotting... I'm rather worried of complication for both my wife and our unborn child.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:23 am

User avatar Hi MarMez,

Modern chest x-rays and abdominal x-rays are actually quite low in radiation levels. It is unlikely that there will be any danger to your new baby. In general, though, I would recommend avoiding any further radiation exposure (i.e. no more x-rays unless absolutely necessary). If further x-rays are needed, the technician can shield the uterus area to protect the baby.

Also, the spotting may have actually been implantation bleeding. If there is no longer any spotting it is likely nothing to worry about.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here