Question: X-rays during pregnancy

MarMez - Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:55 pm

My wife ( 23 years old ) had an x-ray done for her chest and stomach on January 8th, 2009. She was also on the pill at the time and I guess after she got pregnant she kept taking the pills for about 5 to 6 days. On her next cycle, she only had spotting for her mentruations. Now 2 weeks later she finds out she is pregant and is 5 weeks along. I would like to know if that x-ray was or will be damaging to the embryo? If the spotting is a normal occurence in early pregnangy... she has 3 kids already and tells me she never in her life had spotting... I'm rather worried of complication for both my wife and our unborn child.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:23 am

User avatar Hi MarMez,

Modern chest x-rays and abdominal x-rays are actually quite low in radiation levels. It is unlikely that there will be any danger to your new baby. In general, though, I would recommend avoiding any further radiation exposure (i.e. no more x-rays unless absolutely necessary). If further x-rays are needed, the technician can shield the uterus area to protect the baby.

Also, the spotting may have actually been implantation bleeding. If there is no longer any spotting it is likely nothing to worry about.

|