Question: placentae abruptio

bile - Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:03 am

I lost my baby in the ninth month of pregnancy last summer due to microscopic placentae abruptio and even the pathologists couldn't tell the cause. I am now 4 weeks pregnant and request advice: what can I do to prevent the same thing happening again?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:29 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. Your concern now is understandable.

Unfortunately this is one of those accidents that really cannot be prevented. You did nothing to cause it, so you couldn't have stopped it.

I'm sure your doctor will be observing you closely this time to see if there are any signs suggesting something like this happening. Bleeding is always something that should take you to the hospital if it does occur so being aware of this possibility might make you able to catch things early enough to save the baby, but the chances are that you will not have this again. In most instances it is an isolated one-time even (thank goodness!)

|