Question: Cold sores and oral sex

tac37 - Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:02 am

Hi I am having a concern. I get cold sores once in a awhile. I had one this past week but it is pretty much gone, except for I still have some mild pain and it is a little bit visible but there is no actual sore. I performed oral sex on my boyfriend last night--is it likely/possible that I gave him genital herpes?

Thankyou!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Cold sores are caused typically by HSV 1 and most genital herpes by HSV 2. But, it is possible to get either type in either place. However, the type 1 prefers the oral and so is less likely to infect genitally. There is some risk in any case. The person's immune system has a lot to do with whether or not he actually gets infected. The fact that the sore was present, if only mild, does increase the chance of infection but you will probably just have to wait and see the result.

|