News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Chemical Abortion using Misoprostol

nightKnight - Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Dear All,

i will try to be straight to the piont, my girlfriend is pregnant, we made two pregnancy test, and both of them are positive. then we made an ultrasound, she is pregnant for 6 weeks to date, we are not married yet, and having a baby at this stage is not allowed in our country due to many reasons.

we asked many doctors how to do a chemical abortion, as the surgurical abortion is not safe in our country, but they couldn't confirm. we could get some help from the internet about a vaginal medicine - misoprostol (25mcg) - it's available everywhere in our country, but actually we don't know how to use it? what is the periodical? how many times? what is the one dose should be? should we use an abortion bill before using it? and according to what we have, what we can do?

on many sites i found it mention 600 mcg and 800 mcg but i actually don't know is this the total of overall doses or the one dose should be 800 ?

Appriciate your help please.
Thank you in Advance.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:03 pm

User avatar Hello,

This is not my area of expertise but if I were you I would go to this website, http://www.misoprostol.org/File/guidelines.php which quotes this source for information: Weeks A & Faúndes A. Misoprostol in obstetrics and gynecology. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics 2007;99,S156–S159. For induced abortion to 12 weeks it advises 800 every 12 hours X 3 but notes "Ideally used 48h after mifepristone 200mg." Since it says "ideally" I assume that means it will be most likely to succeed when used this way but may be effective alone.

I hope this is helpful.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here