Question: diagnosed with 2 vessel cord

sirdirt - Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:39 pm

HI I was told at my 20 week ultrasound that my umbilical cord only has 1 artery and this is referred to as a 2 vessel cord. I am now 30 weeks pregnant and have had 2 more ultrasounds for reassurance and all seems ok but nobody has really explained to me the risks of having a 2 vessel cord. They all seem pretty relaxed and said i will need ultrasounds to monitor growth and that is all they are worried about at the moment. Growth is fine so far. Is it possible to get a liitle more informaton on 2 vessel cords? I am worried that it is associated with anomalies. Thank you very much
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:52 pm

This is a common abnormality and in most cases the baby is born with no problems - thus, your health care provider's casual response. Before routine ultrasound scans most people didn't learn of the condition until birth when the nurse counted the vessels and noted whether there were two or three.

There is a slightly higher incidence of other anomalies but the fact that your ultrasound did not reveal any other concerns suggests your case will be one of those that does just fine with only one artery. It seems the second one is a bonus; kind of like having two kidneys when one will do the job.

The doctor will be watching closely for any unusual findings because of the potential for associated abnormalities. Sometimes there could be kidney problems so they will watch for fluid problems - either more or less than normal. Growth is the other concern so this will be monitored as your pregnancy proceeds. But, as I said, since your ultrasound was normal, chances are great you will not have any problems with your baby.

|