Question: 2 menstrual periods in one month, spontaneous abortion?

jfirst - Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:04 am

hi, i had my period on may 28 and had sex on june 4 and june 7. i then got my normal period on june 25. then, on june 11, i had my period again. flow and duration of both periods were like my normal. is it possible that i got pregnant and had spontaneous abortion? or is it just a result of hormones? thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:50 pm

Most likely this was just hormonal fluctuation. A spontaneous abortion is not likely to occur so soon. I am assuming you meant the next period was in July - it says June 25 and again June 11. Or perhaps you meant June 11, then again June 25, but either way, it is unlikely this would be the event. It would be more typical of a miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) if your period is late, then comes and perhaps is heavier than normal.

I hope this helps.
 Shyann101 - Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 pm

i have had an abortion about a month ago...the 2week bleeding went well and went away...i had protect sex like 2 days after then i had a little spotting and a strange smell...i felt like a should week awhile before i go to the doctor and everything went away during that week but friday gone a just started to bleed and stopped on monday and today i had sex an bleed...can you tell me what might be the problem and what should i do?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:46 am

After this procedure there is risk of infection so it is advised that you do not have sex for 3 weeks (or put anything into the vagina that could introduce bacteria). You should check your temperature to see if it is elevated which could be a sign of infection. The foul odor can also suggest this and antibiotics might be the safest course so you should talk to your doctor if you feel this is happening. Bleeding for up to 3 weeks following abortion is normal, even though it stopped for a time. Beyond this, you should have it checked out. I would give your vagina a rest while monitoring for infection. You need to take this seriously and heavy bleeding should be reported. It is possible to get your next period as early as 3 weeks or as long as 10 weeks, depending on your own body's hormones.

Having had protected sex makes another pregnancy unlikely so I don't think you have had a spontaneous abortion now.

|