Question: Dark pink rash on left breast, 17 weeks pregant

hug99 - Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:57 pm

Hello, I have a dark pink rash covering 1/4 of my left breast and a little on the right. My OBGYN says he's never seen this before with no symptoms and he doesn't know what it is but wants be to start on a anti-biotic used to treat mastitis. It does not itch. I have no fever, no chills. I am not breast feeding and it does not itch. It appeared one month ago and has not gone away. I don't want to take an anti-biotic and subject the baby to it if it won't help. I scared because my doctor doesn't know what it is, but is not concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:45 pm

I don't know what it is either but the antibiotic won't hurt the baby so I see no harm in trying it in case it is infection. There are some rashes that are of unknown causes and you may not find out the reason. Pregnancy can have differing effects on women and many of the quirky symptoms disappear with the delivery of the baby. This is probably why the doctor is not too worried.

|