Question: Late period after surgery

cottonwoolsheep - Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 am

I underwent gallbladder removal surgery on 7th Jan 09 and prior to this, before my last period in late december came off the pill before the surgery. I was due to have a period 21st Jan so it is now 6 days late. I have taken two pregnancy tests and both have been negative. So what i was wondering is if it was th surgery, the coming off the pill or both tht is making me late, if this is common and when generally people find their body return to normal. I have tried to speak to a nurse on NHS direct but this wasnt too helpful as she didnt know and directed me to my doctor, who i cannot see until next week.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:46 pm

Surgery has been known to disrupt a woman's menstrual cycles so this is possible. Also, fluctuating hormones do this as well so either could be the cause. If pregnancy tests are negative it is probably one of these causes and you shouldn't worry too much. Of course if you have other symptoms and miss another period you should repeat the test.

|