News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Late period after surgery

cottonwoolsheep - Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 am

Hi,
I underwent gallbladder removal surgery on 7th Jan 09 and prior to this, before my last period in late december came off the pill before the surgery. I was due to have a period 21st Jan so it is now 6 days late. I have taken two pregnancy tests and both have been negative. So what i was wondering is if it was th surgery, the coming off the pill or both tht is making me late, if this is common and when generally people find their body return to normal. I have tried to speak to a nurse on NHS direct but this wasnt too helpful as she didnt know and directed me to my doctor, who i cannot see until next week.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:46 pm

User avatar Hello,
Surgery has been known to disrupt a woman's menstrual cycles so this is possible. Also, fluctuating hormones do this as well so either could be the cause. If pregnancy tests are negative it is probably one of these causes and you shouldn't worry too much. Of course if you have other symptoms and miss another period you should repeat the test.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here