Question: Acute Pain at onset of Menstrual Cycle

AMC5 - Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:42 pm

My 13 daughter has had 2 episodes where she gets very ill the day she starts her cycle. She has had her cycle for over a year now, and would have painful periods (our family has a history of painful cycles) however she took Ibuprofen and used the heating pad and would get through it just fine. She does have a history of kidney stones as well. Twice now she has awaken from her sleep with a horrible stomach ache. She then goes to the restroom, has no pain when passing urine, and then afterwards her stomach gets worse. She has excruciating pain just above her pelvic bone, throws up, and is in terrible pain for about 1/2 hour. The first time this happened we thought she had kidney stones again. However now it has happened twice, on the day she started her period. The last time it happened they did a pelvic ultrasound to rule out an ovarian cyst. Her doctor is considering putting her on BC pills to see if that helps, then if not referring her to a specialist. During her cycle she gets horrible cramps but this is very different. She did have 2 normal cycles between these 2 episodes, so they weren't back to back cycles. My question is, have you ever heard of someone in acute pain the day they start? When it happens it is so sudden, and so violent, then subsides about a 1/2 hour later. Today when it happened she wasn't spotting yet, then within the hour she had started her cycle. Any advice you could share would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Yes, I have heard of such symptoms. I think it is worth trying the birth control pills as this often helps regulate erratic hormonal fluctuation and periods are often lighter after an adjustment period of a few months. It is good to have this evaluated since it is disruptive to her life and you would not want to overlook urinary track problems such as infection or kidney stones.

Best wishes to you both.
 AMC5 - Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:37 am

Thank you for your advice. They did rule out Kidney stones, with doing CT scans and an ultrasound last time this happened. Seeing that it only happens the 1st day of her cycle, we are fairly sure it is related to her cycle. Hopefully the BC pills will help, if not we'll have to see a specialist.
Thanks again-

|