News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Pain on left side of stomach near ovaries

LilMzLady - Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:34 am

I'm a 20 year old female. I have pain on the left side of my lower stomach near my ovaries. The pain comes and goes, last for maybe 3 minutes or more and leave. Or it will just be a sharp stabbing feeling for a couple of seconds. It's not unbearable but I'm concerned because this is my second day with this pain.

I have white discharge with a foul odor(smells kind of like spoiled milk). No itching or irritation. I've had the discharge for about 3 weeks. Thought it was kind of normal because most women have a lil discharge. I'm not sure if the discharge has anything to do with the pain in my stomach.

Please help me find out what this pain is.

Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are several possible causes for pain such as this. Since there are so many organs in the abdomen, it can be tricky finding the cause. Sometimes it's a process of elimination. You could have ovarian cysts which would be unrelated to the discharge. You are correct that many women have discharge normally but an odor, itching or soreness suggests infection -either bacterial or fungal (yeast) and needs treatment so finding out about that would be the first step. Ultrasound exam could deterimine if you have cysts. Urinary infections can also cause this type of pain so your doctor may want to rule this out as well. So, the bottom line is you will need to see your doctor. If you choose to treat the possible yeast infection, this could be done over-the-counter but that would not tell you for certain if it is present. Having your doctor analyze the discharge with a swab would help to be sure you are treating it correctly if there is vaginal infection present.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here