Question: NO CERVICAL MUCUS, AM I EVEN FERTILE?

sbford80 - Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:44 pm

I thought that maybe my husband was the problem, but now I think it may be me. I just realized that I no longer have the thin clear mucus discharge that I used to have. I have one child who is going to be 5 in March. I knew exactly when I was ovulating before. Now that I have remarried and ready to have another child, I started to pay attention again. It used to be clear and stringy when I would wipe before, and now there is nothing or at least nothing even slightly noticeable. I did take the pill for a short time, Seasonale - I think 6 months total, but it has been more than 9 months since the last pill. I am wondering, do I even ovulate?
I was 23 when I got pregnant with my daughter, and it only took one month. I am 28 now, and been trying for 7 months. My periods vary in length, 3 - 7 days, some months more heavy than others, but always 29 - 30 days apart. Has been that way since my first one when I was 12.
Wondering if I may be infertile already at my age.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:07 pm

I would not immediately jump to the conclusion of infertility. Seven months is not outside the normal limits, which is actually about a year. In a period of one year about 85 percent of fertile, sexually active couples not using contraception will become pregnant. We don't even recommend infertility testing until after that year unless you are over age 35 when the biological clock is ticking - then they usually start after six months of trying. While some do get pregnant right away, it is not typical. Cervical mucosal changes are also sometimes unreliable and are related to hormones. Again, this does not mean infertility; it just may make it more difficult for you to estimate your fertile period. Since you have regular periods, you most likely ovulate between day 8 and 19 of your cycle so those are the times to have regular intercourse (most suggest at least every other day). This regularity also implies ovulation so this also reinforces my thoughts that you are not infertile.

I'm not saying you can't develop secondary infertility but I just would not immediately think that. Good luck in your efforts.

|