Question: Pregnant and on Celexa? HELP

Jessizh - Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:43 pm

I just found out I was pregnant, I took 3 home pregnancy tests, and they all said the great news that I was pregnant. I am on a low dose of Celexa because I was suffering from massive panic attacks, so sever they would strike like every day fer 3 weeks. I could not move or get off the couch to care for my 3 year old daughter. Im on Celexa and I haven't had a panic attack in almost 2 months now. But I just found out im pregnant. Is it safe to be on Celexa? I do belive its 15 mg a day. I read that its fine but the last trimester it wasnt. Could there be any adverse affects to my baby? I've been praying for almost 3 years to have another baby since we didn't belive my husband and I could conceive. So I don't want ANYTHING to harm my miracle baby. My docrot isn't back untill the 30th of March. Someone please help!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:13 am

Many pregnant women do take Celexa while pregnant. It has been not shown to be a cause of any increased risk for birth defects. Very few medications really do but you should realize that in the normal population there is about a 3% chance of birth defects in ALL babies, regardless of exposures.

All SSRI antidepressants have the potential to be related to some newborn adjustment problems at birth when taken in the last trimester. You should discuss this with your doctor do decide if weaning off prior to the end of your pregnancy is something you should consider. Risks to your health must be considered in the equation. In most of these cases the baby just needs a little extra care with feeding and breathing and they adjust within two weeks without any apparent long-term effects. Rarely an infant develops persistent pulmonary hypertension and there has been some suggestion of implication by SSRIs, but of course not all babies who are exposed experience this. Again, these effects appear to be increased when the medication is used at the end of pregnancy, so don't worry about taking it now. Just talk to your doctor about risks and benefits.

Otis Pregnancy Organization (OTIS) is currently conducting a study looking at women who take antidepressants during pregnancy whether they choose to continue or discontinue their medication. If you are interested in taking part in the study, please call 1-877-875-7333. Regular medication studies are not conducted on pregnant women but they do gather information after many women have used a medication and the data is analyzed to determine any adverse effects. This is why the manufacturers information sheets always warn you against taking medications in pregnancy. It doesn't mean they are harmful; just that they have not been studied in the usual manner so the decisions should be made in concert with your health care provider. This study would be to compare those who take the medication vs those who do not, based on their own risk/benefit determination.

Congratulations and enjoy your pregnancy!

|