News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: irregular bleeding and no bleeding after depo

frogger2013 - Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:50 am

About three years ago, I was on depo for about one year. I had very irregular periods throughout the whole year so I switched to an oral contraceptive, which regulated my menstrual cycle with no problem. It has been almost two years since I have used any kind of contraception. Now my cycle is irregular again. On Feb. 1, I started my period as expected and it lasted for about a week as it usually does. Then about a week later I bled for another five days or so. What could be the cause of this and could I still be having some effects from the depo? So, since about the 18th of feb. I have not had my period or any sign of it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:23 am

User avatar Hello,
It is considered normal to sometimes experience unexpected bleeding, whether the period is missed or as in this case, extra. If you are sexually active and worry about a missed period, take a home pregnancy test. Otherwise, don't worry and see how things work out on their own. Chances are your body will regulate itself hormonally.

Best wishes.
 frogger2013 - Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:10 pm

But is this normal 3 years after stopping the depo, and almost two years of absolutely no contraception?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:53 am

User avatar It can be normal regardless of depo use. I would not say it is because of the depo. Most women experience this at times.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here