News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Risks of marrying cousin

IANBD - Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:00 am

Hello, i've decided to marry my aunt's (mother's sister) son. my aunt is also been married to her cousin (uncle's son). anyways, i've been under immense pressure from my relatives for deciding to marry my cousin. because there are already a few couples in our family who are cousins. moreover in most cases, such couples get defective babies. i've heard that there are some tests which can be done to avoid these risks. does blood group play any role in having defective child? or is there really any way to predetermine that the baby born will be defective? what measures can we take before or after marriage to avoid these risks?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:50 pm

User avatar Hello,
While there is a slight increase in risks to children born of first cousins, it is not as significant as we once thought. Now that more is known about genetics, we understand this. 3-4% of all babies are born with a birth defect. Of first cousins that risk goes to 6% so the increased risk is comparable to a woman giving birth at an advanced age - a little higher risk but not huge. Other factors can also increase your risk - in some cases simply marrying within your own race or community can. Children between brothers and sisters do have a more significant risk.

Blood types are not related to birth defects. Genetic testing can be done, especially if you have a history of genetic problems in your family which might make you at increased risk for some defects which require both parents to pass along the gene in order for it to be a problem. This testing can be very expensive. Meeting with a genetic counselor to review family history (genomics) could also be helpful if you know something about your family's past generations.

Most of the concerns are from perceived as opposed to factual risks. Many needless terminations have occurred because of this misunderstanding. In some cultures, marrying cousins is actually common and preferred.

Good luck on your marriage.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here