Question: Air travel in early pregnancy

sech525 - Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:02 am

My LMP was on March 1st, 2009. I normally have a 28 day cycle and expected my period in 5 days (on March 29th). I just took a home pregnancy test today and it was positive. I am scheduled to fly this Sunday (March 29th) on vacation for 2 weeks. The flight itself is 12 hours long each way. I am concerned about any potential dangers of flying this early in pregnancy, especially since the flight is lengthy. I have a history of one miscarriage in 3/01, but have since gone on to deliver three healthy children (born 2/5/02, 3/1/03, and 6/19/08). This flight was booked a couple of months ago, and the plane tickets were expensive and nonrefundable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Air travel in early pregnancy is not a problem. I am assuming a commercial plane (they have pressurized cabins) as opposed to a small private one. Most miscarriages are caused by failure to implant properly, divide and grow right, or the result of chromosomal abnormality. There is little you can do to cause or prevent a miscarriage, though bad habits can increase your risk. So, unless you have some other problem, I would not worry about the travel. If you miscarry, it would not be the result of the trip.

|