Question: Hypothyroidism, pregnant and wrong Synthroid dose

Linne7 - Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Hello Doctors,
I'm 38 years old mother diagnosed with slightly hypothyroidism since May 2008 (everything normal except the TSH). I started to take 0.025mg of Synthroid. I told my doctor that I wanted to get pregnant pretty soon and she confirmed that the medication at 0.025mg was correct. On February 2nd, 2009 at 7 weeks of pregnancy I went to see my doctor again because I was sensitive to cold and sweating after, extremely tired and minor join pain. She said that I should continue with the Synthroid at 0.025 since the last blood test from October 2008 showed the TSH within the range. I tried to have an appointment ASAP with the obstetrician but it was not possible until week 10 of gestation. My obstetrician did a rush blood test only for the TSH and since week 10.4 my synthroid was increased to 0.50mg because my TSH was at 5.2. Since then, I definitely feel better and I’m going for another blood test tomorrow at week 14 ½.
I ‘m a bit concerned about the fact that I did not take the right dosage at the beginning of my pregnancy. I would like to know what are the possible risks of having a baby with cognitive, developmental delays in my case.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Linne
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:49 pm

I would not be alarmed. While it is important to adjust your thyroid in pregnancy and needs are sometimes increased, I would not expect any adverse effects from an earlier low level. Try to relax and continue to have this monitored periodically throughout for other minor adjustments that may be needed. It is not such a fine-tuning that day to day variance will be concerning. Your baby has two sources of thyroid hormone - its own which begins to function between 10 and 12 weeks and what you supply.

|