News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Hypothyroidism, pregnant and wrong Synthroid dose

Linne7 - Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Hello Doctors,
I'm 38 years old mother diagnosed with slightly hypothyroidism since May 2008 (everything normal except the TSH). I started to take 0.025mg of Synthroid. I told my doctor that I wanted to get pregnant pretty soon and she confirmed that the medication at 0.025mg was correct. On February 2nd, 2009 at 7 weeks of pregnancy I went to see my doctor again because I was sensitive to cold and sweating after, extremely tired and minor join pain. She said that I should continue with the Synthroid at 0.025 since the last blood test from October 2008 showed the TSH within the range. I tried to have an appointment ASAP with the obstetrician but it was not possible until week 10 of gestation. My obstetrician did a rush blood test only for the TSH and since week 10.4 my synthroid was increased to 0.50mg because my TSH was at 5.2. Since then, I definitely feel better and I’m going for another blood test tomorrow at week 14 ½.
I ‘m a bit concerned about the fact that I did not take the right dosage at the beginning of my pregnancy. I would like to know what are the possible risks of having a baby with cognitive, developmental delays in my case.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Linne
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would not be alarmed. While it is important to adjust your thyroid in pregnancy and needs are sometimes increased, I would not expect any adverse effects from an earlier low level. Try to relax and continue to have this monitored periodically throughout for other minor adjustments that may be needed. It is not such a fine-tuning that day to day variance will be concerning. Your baby has two sources of thyroid hormone - its own which begins to function between 10 and 12 weeks and what you supply.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here