Question: Ovarian Cyst symptoms seem to be more than others

dcmomma - Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:51 am

Started feeling bloated and loss of appetite December 2008

Feb 2009: Began to feel pain in ovaries area.

March 5 2009: left abdomen area was swelled and I thought I could feel a large mass on the left side that was about 3 inches long and about 2 inches wide. I was not sure through because I was pushing very deeply. Maybe I was feeling one of my organs.

March 6 2009: Feeling scared, I went to the emergency room where it was discovered that I have a simple follicle cyst on the left ovary - interior. I was also diagnosed with a urinary tract infection, bacterial vaginosis, and moderate fluid in the uteran lining.

Uterus and ovaries were considered normal size and healthy.

I was given antibiotics for the BV & UTI

March 16 2009: Started having more pain in ovarian area. Still bloating, tightness, and stabbing pain. 2 days later I started my period.

March 21 2009: Period ended and was normal. Still having a lot of pain in the left cyst area. Also - have a fullness in the left side from rib cage to pelvis.

Have been experiencing bone and muscle pain in my arms.

I am scheduled for a laparoscopy April 17th. CA-125 blood work next week.

I am so scared and worried that it is more. No one on the internet has mentioned the symptoms I am having. I am so scared that they will find cancer.

All the doctors say that my profile does not fit into the "cancer profile". I have been on birth control since 1992. I have had one child. I was a breastfeeding mom for a year. No family history of cancer. I am 33 years old.

I realize that you may not be able to say what it is but..

Can you tell me if my symptoms are normal for a simple cyst?

If I had more like - ovarian cancer - would the doctors have seen it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Ovarian cysts can result in prolonged pain over several months. I suspect your muscle pain is unrelated to this problem, however. Just as you experienced several conditions at once, the arm pain could be from some inflammation or fibromyalgia. The diagnostic laparoscopy will help the doctor determine if something more is happening, such as endometriosis.

I'm sure your worry is cancer but in most cases this does not result in the symptoms you describe and as your doctor said, you don't fit the classic profile. Checking you for CA-125 is just to be on the safe side in covering all possibilities. I would not be particularly worried; chances are the doctor will be able to find effective treatment once the full diagnosis is determined.

|