Question: Husband has herpes and I so far do not and I am pregnant.

Holly0787 - Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:43 am

My husband has gotten herpes years ago from his first girl friend in high school who cheated on him and gave him the virus. We have had protected sex only once or twice in our entire relationship. He hasnt had an outbreak in 2yrs till last night which we didnt have sex for about two days now. I am concerned because I am pregnant and have told my OBGYN that he has it but they never initiated any test or anything... I havent had anything strange on me but once a pimple looking thing on my groin but it went away in a couple days and that was weeks ago. What happends when your pregnant and I find out I have the virus? I am scared for my baby. What happends? Also if I do contract it from him, do we still avoid sex when one has an outbreak? I searched for answeres on a million different sites but non can answer these for me...What should I do about being pregnant and him having it, what happends if I do, and sex..how does that work? Thanks and God bless!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 pm

It is recommended you avoid sex while he has an outbreak and you can add to your protection in pregnancy by using a condom for sex throughout the pregnancy since the risk of transmission to the baby is greatest if you acquire the virus in pregnancy; less risk for women who acquire it before becoming pregnant since viral shedding is greatest with initial infection. Your doctor can run a test to see if you have antibodies currently, meaning you have already acquired it but are asymptomatic. If you have no antibodies, you should avoid sex in the last month of pregnancy, when risk to the baby is greatest. Sometimes antiviral therapy is recommended if you acquire the virus during this time; some doctors recommend taking it the last month regardless.

If you have an active lesion at the time of delivery you would need to have the baby by c-section. If not, vaginal delivery is quite safe.

Discuss your concerns with your doctor.

|