Question: Severe Pregnancy Symptoms & Negative Tests

pmama - Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:14 pm

I have a very irregular period due to ovarian cysts that don't always go away. I was told the older I get the harder it will be to conceive. I do have a now 3 year old son. So my problem now is that I started my period on January 18 and bled for my regular 7 days. On the day after I quit bleeding my husband and I had sex and I immedietly began bleeding and bled for another 14 days. I normally start around the 18-20 every month but I have not started this month. I didn't think much of it until I started having symptoms. It started with sever fatigue, I couldn't hold my eyes open. Then I started noticing a pressure in my abdomen. Then followed the frequent urination, the nausea, lower back pain, swollen and sensitive breasts, clear discharge, heartburn, and ever so often diarrhea, which I NEVER have unless I am sick. So I started to think I might be pregnant so I took a home pregnancy test on the 23 of this month and it was negative. Well my stomach is continuing to harden and my breasts are getting larger and the nausea is worse in the mornings and nights. So I waited another week and took the other test which was today, it is also negative. I have a strong feeling that I am pregnant but everytime I see the tests they make me think otherwise. I guess my question is, could my cysts effect the test results? Could they either be interfering with my hcg level and causing a false negative, or could they be the reason for my symptoms? I don't have insurance to go to the doctor so I was hoping you could help me. Please help me I am so frustrated and confused.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:59 am

I am doubtful it is pregnancy you are experiencing but likely some severe hormonal fluctuation. The cysts would not affect your pregnancy testing or hcg levels so the test should be reliable. Pain can be caused from the cysts or even something else such as endometriosis. You should continue with your doctor for treatment. Of course sometimes you get a false negative result on a test but repeating this in a week usually results in a good test for most people. Some have low hcg levels for a while but you could have a serum (blood) test instead through your doctor's office and these are more sensitive.

JUSTAG26 - Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:59 pm

I have a IUD in for 5 years now and I'm fixing to get it took out.. But for the last month and a half my breast have grow one cup size and they hurt really bad they also have been eaking milk. So is there a change I could be pregnant? It's time for my monthly but i only spotted..
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:38 pm

You should take a pregnancy test but it is possible to have pituitary or other endocrine disorder that can result in a prolactin (the hormone that stimulates the production of milk) increase so you should see a doctor.

mint2beelucky - Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:57 am

I have had some vaginal bleeding and it has been dry blood. I had been 3 weeks late for my period and when my period seamed like it began it came out as dried blood. The next day some regular bleeding came but only lasted a couple of days. Is there something wrong with my ovaries? Could i be pregnant? I took a test about a month ago and it came out negative, I have never been pregnant. I have symptoms of a pregnancy, and bad headaches.
 doesntmatter1 - Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:46 pm

i havent had my period for 3 wks now and i have nausea from time to time but i've taken 4 pregnancy test and they come out negative its been different brands but is not the expensive brand actually theyre the 4dlls. does that matter or its the same result?
 RMacy89 - Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:15 pm

i have already had my period about 3 days ago and yesterday i started bleeding again for maybe an hour then after me and my boyfriend had sex i started to bleed again but there is no pains or clotting. i took 2 pregnancy tests last month because i didnt have a period one said positive and one said negative. my breasts are hurting and getting bigger i have to urinate alot and i have nausea sometimes but i never throwup i just feel like i am going to but then i eat and its gone i have really bad headaches my back hurts and im very tired i have no clue as to what is it or what it could be is there any way you can help me out with this
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:46 pm

In response to the first quesion - yes, pregnancy is possible if you have been sexually active. Some people do have what seems like a light period after they are pregnant. You should probably do a test to verify this. If it is negative your sympoms could be unrelated and occasional variation in periods is normal. If you continue to suspect pregnancy, repeat the test after a week.

In response to the second question - the more costly tests are not necessarily better. Most of them are quite good when used as directed and if they have not reached their expiration date. I have heard that First Response is very sensitive but I really can't say I know that for sure. You could also have testing done with a doctor or clinic who could run a blood test which is more sensitive. This might be worthwhile since you are having symptoms.

Meanwhile, please take a daily multivitamin. It is important in case you do become pregnant to have enough folic acid on board to help prevent some birth defects.

Good luck to both of you.
 makeherhappy - Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:04 pm

HI, I am 29 yrs old and I think I may be pregnant. I have never been pregnant before so if so, this will be the first. I started my period at 12yrs old and they were always irregular. Sometimes coming every 3 months and lasting a month. I tried clomid for a total of a year (6 months at a time) in 2005 with no success so I stopped trying. I have had a thyroid test and it came back fine in 2007. I had an (water) ultrasound to check for endometriosis. The doctor filled my uterus with some kind of long tube with water and checked, not sure what the exact name of it is called. Anyway it came back fine. That was in 2006. Just recently starting in 2007 my periods became regular, I evan began cramping when it came on and also cramping about 3 days during ovulation every month. Its called mittleheimers (excuse the spelling), but thats how I know every month when I'm ovulating. Before my periods became regular they were VERY heavy. Now they last 4 to 5 days at the most, and its not heavy, I would say its an average period. I may use a total of 8 to 9 pads a period.
I began charting my period and ovulation for a better chance at pregnancy, well here goes. My period is an 36 day period, with first day of period as day one, im sure we all know the drill of counting. Anywho, My last period was March 10, 2009 and lasted the usual 4 days with spotting as it goes off on day 5. My chart said my most fertile days were from March 30 to April 3rd. We had sex March 29, 31, 1st, and 3rd. I was told that you can take a test 10 past ovulation if conceived. My period was due April 15th. It has not came on yet. I took a hpt on April 11 four days before (walgreens early response test) it was negative. I took another one on the 14th, the day before missed period (walgreens again) it was negative. And I took another one on the 16th, one day passed missed period (dollar store brand) it was negative. My breast are a lil heavy and I have sharp pains in them for the past couple of days. I have a kitten and the kitty litter drives me insane. Both I and my fiance have been tired and sleepy lately. I was constipated a few days ago but I finally went on friday without straining. I had cramps like my period was coming the day of my missed period and sill having some slight cramping now.
Did I test too soon or am I just having wishful symptoms and thinking too much. I havent gained any weight and Im not stressed, although I do think what if I am a lot, but still not stressed.

ANY HELP!!!!
THANKS
 tynehia.taylor - Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 am

Hello im 23 years old and i don't know what to do. i use to have irregular periods but was put on birthcontrol 5 years ago and ever since then my period been regular. i stop using birth control 3 years ago and ever since then my periods been find. well on may 17 i had a period as schedule and it lasted 3-4 days. me and my fiance had sex on the day of my last period and the end of may beginning of june. i missed my june period and still havent came on. i have been having some cramping in my pelvic area, lightly fatigue, nausea, breast pain and headaches. oneday i had a real severe migraine which was associated with a high fever. then my hands and feet broke out with small bumps and was red and itchy. now they are peeling, and my stomache is real tight. and im having white discharge now.i took two pregancy tests and they both came out negative. when to the hospital and they said i had a urninary tract infection and bacterial vaginosis disease. but i didnt have no symptoms of the two. is it possible that i could be preganant?
 ladyZ - Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:27 pm

i had unprotected,but took the morning after pill within 24hr period after. since then i had been experiencing heartburn...after it subsided started feeling nauseas for a couple of days.soon as that ended my nipples became increasingly sensitive to touch,now just noticed slight bleeding. it's still too soon for taking a pregnancy test, but any advice what could be wrong?

|