Question: D&C verses taking provera

san123 - Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:42 pm

I am 51 years old and recently had a very heavy bleeding episode that lasted 2months. I had a transvaginal ultrasound, which showed a thickening of the uterine lining. I also had a uterine biopsy which was negitive. The doctor put me on provera 10mg bid. He also recommended a D&C to stop the bleeding. He feels Im premenopausal and it's a hormone imbalance. My question to the forum is. If my bleeding has stopped because of taking provera do I still need the D&C? and how long should I take the medication Provera to control the bleeding?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Sometimes heavy bleeding can go on for months during the perimenopause period so treatment will likely continue for a while. A D&C sometimes helps but may not but id doesn't seem necessary if the bleeding has stopped unless your doctor wants to do a scraping and lab analysis of the uterine lining.

A uterine ablation is another treatment option. If the provera helps, that is an ideal option because it is non-invasive and just regulates hormones which your body has naturally, but is sometimes out of balance.

tallblonde13 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:50 pm

I have had menstrual bleeding for approximately 6 weeks. I just finished 10 days of Provera without relief. I had a pelvic ultrasound 04/23/2009 and do not yet have the results. I also have an IUD that I have had for 8 years without previous problems. I had a pelvic exam 10 weeks ago that was negative except for an infection for which I had no symptoms or discharge and used a vaginally inserted antibiotic. My fiance has been very understanding, but this is even starting to effect our relationship. Any advice would help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 5:36 pm

You could be having some of the endometrial and hormonal changes that often occur with the perimenopause period. If the provera did not help, I would try the D&C. There is also the possibility of an endometrial ablation if the lining is building up too much. This is considered only in women who are certain they are through with childbearing, however. Ask your doctor about the various options.

|