News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Menstraul cycles and fibroids

paulines1961 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 am

I am going on a 7 day cruise on June 20, 2009. I have been an in home childcare provider for 25 years now and have never taken a vacation or been off for more than like 2 days. My problem is my menstraul cycle started March 26 and I don't want to be on the cruise in June and have a period. I have uterine fibroids and no time to take off to have them removed because of the recovery time and with the economy the way it is now I can not afford to take this recovery time off. I can't wear tampons because of the fibroids they get in the way and it is extremely uncomfortable with a tampon. I have heard I could start taking birth control pills and restart the date my menstral cycle would be. Also I heard the pill can help with fibroids. Is any of this true and if so since I started the 26th of this month that only leaves April. May and I would need to be through my June cycle before June 20th. So is this true and are there any side effects from doing this. Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:48 pm

User avatar Hello,
You should be fine to manipulate your period this way. You begin the pill and just continue to take it rather than stopping for bleeding. There is no harm; you do not need to have a period to be healthy. It is mostly for convenience in dating pregnancy or assuring you are not. Many women get very panicky if they don't have a period for fear they are pregnant. You should have time to work this out before the trip. Some birth control pills are specifically designed to eliminate periods but they really work the same as just beginning a new pack rather than taking placebos or having the week without the pills, depending on the particular brand of pill.

Talk to your doctor about your desire for a prescription and assuming you are not having other concerns such as a history of blood clots or you are a smoker, this should be just fine.

Enjoy your much needed vacation!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here