News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Post Hysterectomy Symptoms..phantom periods?

Lorij33 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:24 pm

I am a 33 year old female who had a hysterectomy in June 2007. At the time of surgery I decided to keep my two ovaries as to the main reason for surgery was abnormal cells in my uterus and endometriosis. The only problem with my ovaries was a few small cysts. All other reproductive organs including my cervix was removed. Everything went extremely well during surgery and in the many months following. However the past 4 to 5 months I have been experiencing strange symptoms. It seems as though monthly I begin to feel bloated, have slight pain in my lower abdomen(around ovaries), have a very slight spotting of clear discharge. I started to mark my calender the past three months to track my symptoms and discovered that it is almost as it were happening in a 24-31 day cycle. My question may seem strange but : Is this my body showing signs of my period?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
Since you still have your ovaries, ovulation continues, along with the symptoms that sometimes happen with the hormonal fluctuation that occurs because of the ovarian function. The reason you keep the ovaries in these cases is so you will continue to have normal hormones and not go into surgical menopause. Since symptoms of PMS are related to hormones; not uterus, it is understandable you still have fluctuation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here