Question: Post Hysterectomy Symptoms..phantom periods?

Lorij33 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:24 pm

I am a 33 year old female who had a hysterectomy in June 2007. At the time of surgery I decided to keep my two ovaries as to the main reason for surgery was abnormal cells in my uterus and endometriosis. The only problem with my ovaries was a few small cysts. All other reproductive organs including my cervix was removed. Everything went extremely well during surgery and in the many months following. However the past 4 to 5 months I have been experiencing strange symptoms. It seems as though monthly I begin to feel bloated, have slight pain in my lower abdomen(around ovaries), have a very slight spotting of clear discharge. I started to mark my calender the past three months to track my symptoms and discovered that it is almost as it were happening in a 24-31 day cycle. My question may seem strange but : Is this my body showing signs of my period?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Since you still have your ovaries, ovulation continues, along with the symptoms that sometimes happen with the hormonal fluctuation that occurs because of the ovarian function. The reason you keep the ovaries in these cases is so you will continue to have normal hormones and not go into surgical menopause. Since symptoms of PMS are related to hormones; not uterus, it is understandable you still have fluctuation.

|