Question: Changing to a hormone-free birth control and mood stability?

Divine_Mrs_D - Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:36 pm

I was put on the birth control pill when I was 16. I was going through a severe depression and my mother believed that "fixing" my period (My moods would increase 10 fold in the week before my period) would make me better. I was fine after that, starting having sex, got married...and I used the birth control for its intended purpose. I'm 24 now and am looking into an IUD because I don't really like the idea of messing with my body chemistry like that.

I am a different person then I was back then and haven't spoken to a therapist in years. I think that all the things that happened were because of my whole body changing and who I was when I was 16 - not throwing it all onto my period. I'm sure my PMS symptoms will be more severe, but should I think about visiting a psychologist or someone before changing to a hormone-free birth control?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:54 pm

You should be fine to switch and see how it goes, being alert to any signs of depression or other mood swings. Even if you have some they may be transient as your body adjusts hormonally. If you are more comfortable consulting with a therapist first, that is fine, but I see no particular medical need for it unless you have symptoms that seem to be out of control.

|