Question: Pregnancy with the Mirena

chrissy8282 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:04 pm

I went to the OB today and confirmed that I am pregnant she said she was going to do nothing...leave the IUD in place and do some research she has not had a case like this and I am so scared as all the horror stories that I find online. DOes the IUD need to be removed? Should I seek a 2nd opinion? I have done some research and most things say that the MIrena should be removed immediatly if possible. The doctor did not even check the placement. WHat should I do?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:51 pm

Removal is recommended, if possible. I suspect your doctor is getting some additional information and she may even refer you to someone else if she is not comfortable with it. Of course you can always seek a second opinion with someone more experienced with this anyway and in some cases they must be left in but this should be done with study and consultation. You are at greater risk for ectopic pregnancy and you have not indicated how far along you are so be alert to any signs of pain or bleeding.

chrissy8282 - Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Thank you Debbie! My doctor called and said that my blood work showed that my levels were at 10,000 and that was normal but they would take blood again this week she also said my progestrine was normal. I have an appt next Thursday with palentologist (sp?) some sort of special sonogram specialist?? They said that they would see what the sonogram showed and determine with the specialist the best course of action. I am just so paranoid after looking online and seeing all of the horror stories!! I am estimating that I am about 6-7 weeks based on my last menstrual which was between Feb 13-17. I am having no spotting and occasional cramping here and there but I am unsure if it is cramping or just gas and I am being a worrywort. To be about 6-7 weeks is 10,000 HCG normal is there anyway to know?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:48 pm

User avatar I'm afraid you must just wait and see what happens but it sounds like you are in good hands. Of course there is a little more risk for you but the perinatologist will be the one to advise you now. Patience is the key.

Good luck

|