Question: taking Levocetirizine (Xyzal) just before conception

pearllin - Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:20 am

Hi ,
I wak taking Levocetirizine (Xyzal) about 2 weeks for rash on my face just before conception. I heard that it is very dangerous. I am warried about that it will do harm to my baby. In my country, one couple only allowed to have 1 baby. I am so stewed. I don't know whether I should terminate pregnancy ?

Pearl
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:41 pm

My understanding is that this one is not known to be dangerous to the fetus. The packaging on drugs always warn against taking any medications without your doctor's permission in pregnancy because extensive scientific testing is not done on pregnant women. This leaves the decisions in the hands of the health care providers to advise based on risks and benefits of drugs in pregnancy. Very few drugs are actually known to cause harm to the baby so I would not rush to terminate. Chances are not any greater for you than for any pregnant woman and there is about a 3% risk of birth defects in all pregnancies, without any particular exposures - just the way it works out randomly.

As more and more women have been exposed to particular medications, data is collected and we learn which ones are truly risky. Your doctor will know what these are because the few that are harmful are well-known.

|