News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Can the dating scan be wrong?

whitepearl110 - Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi, I went to see the midwife who said I was 18 weeke, a few days later the dating scan showed I was 14 weeks. This was about 2 weeks ago, I am now 17 weeks according to the scan and I went to see the Gp who said I feel like im a lot more than what the scan is saying. She came to this conclusion by just touching me. However she could not assess further because she has not received my notes from the hospital. This is a very confusing issue for me as now 2 people have said I am more is there possibility of the baby being to big? or any other reasons?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
There is no perfect dating when it comes to pregnancy since every woman is different as to date of ovulation, date of conception, etc. Two weeks variation either way is considered normal. When you get your mid-pregnancy ultrasound exam, you will probably be given a date at that time which may confirm one of these other dates. I would not worry too much about this until you see the results of that exam. Later, if nature takes its course, as opposed to labor induction, your baby will decide when it is due to be born and will most likely come at the appropriate time. The variations which sometimes occur is why it is best not to rush things. If we are off a bit on the estimated due date we could put the baby in jeopardy of a premature birth.

Good luck in your pregnancy.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here