Question: Can the dating scan be wrong?

whitepearl110 - Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi, I went to see the midwife who said I was 18 weeke, a few days later the dating scan showed I was 14 weeks. This was about 2 weeks ago, I am now 17 weeks according to the scan and I went to see the Gp who said I feel like im a lot more than what the scan is saying. She came to this conclusion by just touching me. However she could not assess further because she has not received my notes from the hospital. This is a very confusing issue for me as now 2 people have said I am more is there possibility of the baby being to big? or any other reasons?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:36 pm

There is no perfect dating when it comes to pregnancy since every woman is different as to date of ovulation, date of conception, etc. Two weeks variation either way is considered normal. When you get your mid-pregnancy ultrasound exam, you will probably be given a date at that time which may confirm one of these other dates. I would not worry too much about this until you see the results of that exam. Later, if nature takes its course, as opposed to labor induction, your baby will decide when it is due to be born and will most likely come at the appropriate time. The variations which sometimes occur is why it is best not to rush things. If we are off a bit on the estimated due date we could put the baby in jeopardy of a premature birth.

Good luck in your pregnancy.

|