Question: Second Pregnancy i was put on Progesterone Suppositories

sue323 - Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:14 am

I had a miscarriage of my first pregnancy in August 2008. I was 7 weeks pregnant at that time, and i had the DNC procedure done. Now i am pregnant again (11 weeks) and exactly around 7th week i started bleeding hence i went back to my Obgyn. She did a sonogram and said that the baby was doing fine with a good heartbeat, but she put me on progesterone suppositories after seeing that i had low progesterone levels (around 11.5). As soon as i started taking progesterone supps i stopped bleeding. Last week i had a regular check up done and so far the baby is doing good. Now, my question is there anything i should be worried about as there was a slight delay in detecting the low progesterone levels. Please reply.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Progesterone levels are needed to be at a certain level in order to sustain the pregnancy until the placenta takes over that responsibility. Since your levels were low your doctor gave you a little help. This may or may not have been the cause of your previous miscarriage but it won't hurt to try this, given your history. I wish it could be the answer for all miscarriages, but in truth, most miscarriages are of causes never to be known. Hopefully this was the only problem for you and the supplementation will help this time. Having a low level early on is not important if the baby has continued to grow normally. In other words, any lack would not cause a problem if you did not miscarry when it was low. It should have no other negative results.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

|