Question: Pre menapausal on Vivivelle Dot 2 heavy periods in one month

menapausal - Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:17 pm

I have hypothyroidism, and diagnosed premenapausal with low hormone levels,,didnt have a period for 6 months, now since being on the vivelle-dot patch I started getting my period, after 2 months of regular periods I have had 2 VEry HEAVY periods within one month. First of the month, normal for me, and a week after ending it started up again, very heavy bleeding for the last 10 days. I just had my annual pap, and it was normal,,always had a normal pap. Never had problems with my period until a year ago, and then everything went haywire with my hormones. My thyroid was level as per my last blood checkup . I am mostly concerned why would I have such heavy periods so close together. Would it be from the VIvelle dot hormone? SHould I continue to use the patch? Is this normal for starting the menapause process?
Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:04 pm

The period of perimenopause, which can last for several years prior to the cessation of menstrual periods, can be fraught with uncomfortable symptoms, especially with regard to bleeding patterns. Many women have heavy and/or irregular periods. By the time you get past all of this, actual menopause is likely to be a breeze. If you continue to have heavy periods you could become anemic so you should discuss it with your doctor. Some women benefit from a uterine ablation if hormones don't calm down the excessive blood loss. I doubt the problem is actually caused by the contraceptive method but it may be a contributor in the hormonal changes. Your doctor can advise you whether or not this is the best method for you.

|