News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Who is the father?

bb1434 - Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:41 pm

I am currently pregnant and worried as to who the father of my baby is. I was with my current fiance for most of the month of January. We had a fight and a mistake was made. I was with my ex late on the night of the 31rst/morning of the 1rst but protection was used. Prior, I was with my current Fiance without protection. I found out in Feb that I was pregnant. My dating scan puts my due date at Oct 18th. Last week, I asked my doctor for the possible date of conception. He told me that it is hard to say as I went off the pill in January, about the first of the month. He estimated that it occurred between the 25th and 31rst of January. Is it safe to say that more than likely, the incisdent that occured on the 31rst did not result in my pregnancy? What also concerned me was the fetal heart rate during the dating sonogram which put me at 8 weeks,was 170bpm. From what I have read, that is way to fast for a baby that was at 6 weeks conception. I know the only way to tell is a post natal DNA test, but I am wracked with guilt and I guess I am looking for a little piece of mind.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:37 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is impossible to say for sure but if I were a betting person, I would put my money on the fiance as the father since you used protection when you were with the ex. The most likely conception date, based on ultrasound dating was the 25th but as your doctor said, your actual date of ovulation could have been off a bit. However, the dating is usually quite accurate in the early weeks of pregnancy.

I wish I could be more definitive but I am assuming your "protection" was in the form of a condom. If used properly it is very effective as a contraception.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here