Question: Epithelial cell abnormality smear result

worriedgirl29 - Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:56 am

hi,
first time user due to major concern over my 1st smear test result and an unhelpful GP who failed to explain result to me properly.
I am 29 and have only had one sexual partner. i am in a 7 year faithful relationship but the smear result is distressing us both HUGELY while i wait for a colposcopy appoinment to come through.
The result says "Epithelial cell abnormality" with the comments "Atypical squamous cells, cannott exclude high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion" followed by the comments "borderline nuclear abnormalities (squamous) or HPV"

My question is does this result mean i have been exposed to the HPV virus, as i have only had one partner and my partner only had 2 sexual relationships before me.
we have both been devasted by the possiblity that this could have been passed from one to the other of us.
if it does not necessarily mean this, will the colposcopy be able to determine if i (or we) have been exposed to one of these viruses?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 21, 2009 10:48 pm

The purpose of the colposcopy is to determine what type of abnormal cells you have - if it is HPV or not. The notes you share here just indicate abnormal cells with "possible" causes. It would be impossible to say what it is until you have the follow-up testing. Try not to worry too much until you get the results after the colposcopy. There is no point in stressing about what may not be a problem at all.

You should also be able to get a complete explanation of your test results from your doctor. Schedule a consultation appointment if necessary where he has time to really talk to you - at least by the time you are to receive the results next time. Doctors can get very busy and I suspect the reason you didn't get a lot of information is because he also felt there was no point in worrying prematurely about something that may be ruled out completely with the next test. Of course you are worrying so he didn't save you trouble there anyway but that may have been his thought process.

Good luck with the procedure.

|