News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Will Norethisterone affect my pregnancy?

MongolianMaid - Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:49 am

Dear Doc,

In Feb 09, I had missed my period for over 50 days, and consulted with a GP. After confirming that I wasn't pregnant, I was prescribed Norethisterone 5mg for a week to induce my period. Got my period 3 days after stopping the dosage. By the way, I never had a very regular period like clockwork before. I am 24.

I missed my period again in March, I decided to wait out, it's been 50 days since I got my period, so I took a home pregnancy test today(10 Apr 09), and it turned out positive(an unplanned pregnancy). I am not on any other medication.

I am worried if the Norethisterone 5mg I took for a week will affect the foetus in anyway. Will it interfere with the pregnancy? Please clarify.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
It seems very unlikely it will be a problem since you did get your period and most likely became pregnant on the next cycle when you weren't on the medication. While some drugs and exposures stay in your body for a while, I doubt this one would be a problem. There is no way to guarantee that you baby will be free of birth defects because in the population as a whole, 3-5% have a defect, even with no known exposures at all.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here