News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: VAGINAL EMBOLISM? Air/blood coming out HELP!

amsmth - Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:50 pm

I thought I was finished with my period. I douched when it had been a couple days since I bled. This time I used a re-usable douche (sterilized it first) but I stupidly used a mild soap & water instead of vinegar & water. It felt different, maybe because of the soap bubbles. I rinsed out with pure water a couple times. Now I keep passing vaginal air. Also little clots of blood when I urinate. The little clumps of blood are bright red, not discolored like blood usually is this late into my period.

I'm scared--and embarrassed. What should I do? I can't seem to find much information about vaginal air embolisms, but I know I am at higher risk for blood clots/embolisms as I have very bad vericose veins which are in need of surgery. I feel bloated, like I just had Thanksgiving dinner, and it's not going away.

Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
I don't think you need to worry about an embolism here. These are extremely rare and would require a large amount of air to forced into the vagina without a means for escape. There is a slightly higher risk in pregnancy or very soon after delivery when vessels are engorged, but most likely it would still take a large amount of forced air. What you have experienced would not put you at risk for this condition.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here