Question: endometrisos partial hyterectomy still hurting

mom03 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:09 am

I am 27 and I have 3 kids. I had severe endometrosis and had a partial hysterectomy I still have ovaries. I just had another surgery to remove more scar tissue, it was wrap around my colon and other areas. My doctor had told me I had scar tissue in my intestines and he was not going to mess with it. Now I am in pain again I am swelling after sex with my husband and doubling over. Plus I am now experiencing mood swings bad, I cry over the littlest things, I am have trouble going to the bathroom. I also discovered a knot in my left breast which is really senseitive to touch. Please help what is going on with me. I am even having hot flashes, and stay extremely tired..

thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 pm

It is possible that you still have endometriosis. While hysterectomy often helps this condition, removing the diseased organs does not necessarily remove the disease. In about 40% of women, the symptoms of endometriosis return within five years of their surgery. Add to that the scarring/adhesions from surgery and you have a couple of potential causes for pain. Since your ovaries are intact, you should not be entering surgical menopause but you still may be having some hormonal abnormality resulting in the hot flashes and mood swings. You could even have ovarian cysts that are causing you distress.

You need to see a gynecologist and if you feel your surgeon is not meeting your needs, you may need to find another doctor. They should be able to find the cause of your distress and your symptoms may be relieved with hormone therapy, but it would require a complete exam by your doctor with history of all your symptoms. Begin now making your list and any patterns you have noticed so your doctor has the whole picture.

DsPixie - Fri May 08, 2009 9:47 am

Hi Mom03
I totally sympathise with your problem. I have also been diagnosed with severe endometriosis. My doctor had 2 suggestions for me. 1 - full pelvic clearout including ovaries. 2 - medication to force me in to the menopause for about a year and then out only to be put back into the menopause again. I did not like either option at 29 years old.
I have had 2 laparoscopic surgeries to treat the endo, but I know that it has not all been treated. I researched my condition and came to understand the condition.
The biggest problem for me was this: Endometriosis is self feeding. It does not need a uterous or even ovaries to provide the oestrogen to survive and cause you pain. Each nodule creates and feeds itself with oestrogen.
I decided that if the oestrogen levels were too high I would try to bring the progestrogen levels up to create some balance. I had the Imlanon inserted in my arm. So far this has worked for me. This wont work for everone but it is worth doing your research. If your doc is not listening to your worries, please find another doc. Unfortunately with endo, the treatment can be a bit of trial and error until something works for you.
don't give up Mom03, it can be managed. You have to manage it for your quality of life for you and your family.
PS My doc prescribes strong ibuprofen and it works for my bad days. I wouldnt however want to be taking meds every day.
Best of luck

|