News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Provera-3 periods then missed period with - preg test

grapeape - Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 am

I was prescribed Provera to induce periods after coming off of BC as I am trying to conceive. The induced period was followed by two regular periods (30 day cycle). Then discovered ovulation from bbt and home test kit. Had intercourse on fertile days. Took home pregnancy test 5 days after missed period with negative result. Please advise. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:10 pm

User avatar Hello
Do I understand your question to be that you want to know why you did not become pregnant or whether the test was accurate? You could repeat the test after a week to be certain, assuming you haven't started your period by then. If it is still negative it is possible you are just still irregular with your periods. After discontinuing hormonal contraception some women do have abnormal cycles for a few months. Considering the fact you needed Provera to start your period before, it seems likely this could be the case. But, of course, pregnancy is possible. However, just because you were fertile, ovulated and had sex at the right time, you still may not get pregnant. It's a very complex process for the sperm to make its way up, fertilize an egg, and then for the egg to implant in the lining of the uterus. Assuming everything goes right and there's not a chromosomal problem or early development error which results in miscarriage, pregnancy may happen.

I'm afraid you need to mostly wait it out and see what happens. Rarely do women conceive on their first month of trying so don't be discouraged.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here