Question: trichomoniasis reccurence? Vaginal Discharge and Burning

Dizzyb15 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:50 pm

In Febuary i was diagnosed with trichomoniasis I was having burning and vaginal discharge, the discharge was Whitish/Greyish and sometimes yellow (rarely). I was given the antibiotic metronidazole I finished the antibiotics and I could tell that the pain was lessening but 2 to 3 days later the pain was back. I have been back and forth to the doctors and my doctor just recently gave me some antibiotics for a tract infection because she said there was bacteria in my urine. But now im back again where I started with the same pain as what I had in Febuary. Could this be Trichomoniasis again?I don't know how I could be reinfected because I havent had Sex since January. Also is it possible that it could have spread to my cervix with out me knowing?
Thanks in Advance
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 25, 2009 11:56 am

It is unlikely you would be reinfected if you have not had sex. There is always the possibility you did not get the infection cleared up completely to begin with so you should go back to your doctor. Usually the course you have taken is adequate but, it is possible and, as you found with the UTI, other problems can co-exist with this and you want to be sure all infection is cleared. Whenever you have a urinary tract infection it is wise to follow up to be sure the bacteria is gone once treatment has been completed. It is impossible to say definitively just from the complaint of ongoing pain without complete examination.

|