Question: Yaz- Missed Pills

megconcern - Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:07 am

I have been on Yaz for about a year now. During the second week of my pills, i missed Monday and Tuesday's dosage at my regular time. However, i took both Monday and Tuesday's pills Tuesday night, and continued for the rest of the month to take the pills at my regular time. I was spotting from that Thursday until the end of the month when my real period came. Was I still protected during that month? Also, do I need to use a backup method of birth control for the first seven days of this month? I finished my period sunday and I am on my third pill of the first week today.

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:00 pm

You are starting fresh with a new month following your period and you do not need to do anything except take the pill every day as directed. The only reason for using a second method would be if you wanted a barrier method to reduce risks of sexually transmitted diseases or if you want to eliminate the small risk of becoming pregnant while taking the pill. Usually failure rate is due to the human error, as you have experienced, missing pills. If you tend to do this, a second method might be a good idea. It just is not necessary simply because of last month's missed pills.

|