News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Implantation bleeding or the effects of birth control?

herjac - Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi,

I'm 19 years old and currently sexually active with my boyfriend of 4 years. I have been on Aviane birth control for over a year now, and am currently not using any other method of birth control. Last month I went on vacation to Hawaii from march 8-13. I'm not sure if the 5 hour time difference would have any effect but I missed a pill and took two when i remembered, and also missed a pill another time in the week (not twice in a row), but took two accordingly as well. I had intercourse on the last days of my period (end of the pack) in the beginning of august. I've been experiencing spotting (brownish) for the 7th day now and I'm wondering if I shouldn't exclude pregnancy as a possibility for this. I know spotting can occur while on birth control, but I guess what I'm trying to understand is if this is implantation bleeding or not, since i'm not sure exactly how long it lasts. (The internet has always been a non-reliable source until now)

Thank you so much for your time
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is impossible to say what is causing the spotting. If it were me I would probably wait it out and assume it is just breakthrough bleeding. Since your time of having sex was at the end of your period it is very unlikely you would have conceived. But, it won't hurt to take a test if it will reassure you.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here