News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Social drinking first three months?

eli23 - Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Hello, I've always had irregular periods so I didn't think much of it when I went a couple months without getting one. I also started developing nausea and feeling extremely tired so I took a pregnancy test. I went to the doctor and found out I am just over three months pregnant. I have been drinking probably once a week for this entire time and am wondering how high my chances are of having a baby with FAS or if not the full blown effects, the disfigured looks, poor eyesight or anything else? Will stopping now that I know help any or just prevent any further damage?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
They have not been able to determine what level of alcohol use in pregnancy might be safe. Therefore, the recommendation is to avoid it altogether. But, many babies are born of heavily drinking mothers who do not develop the fetal alcohol syndrome. There is probably a genetic component which makes some people more susceptible than others. We just don't know.

As for quitting now, it absolutely will help since many drug exposures are dose-related, meaning the more exposure over time, the greater the risk of damage. Don't worry too much about what is passed but concentrate on doing everything you can now to have a healthy pregnancy, including taking prenatal vitamins, eating right, exercising and using seatbelts.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here