News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Large labia minora, sticking out a lot

JessicaLCN - Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:43 pm

Hello I'm a 15 years old and I was wondering if it is normal to have a protruding labia minora. My labia sticks out when I wear a bathing suit, jeans, really anything; and it looks strange. I'm really embarrassed about it and I always wear long shirts so that people don't see that it bulges strangely. Also on the area where my pubic hair grows, the skin sort of sticks out when I wear dresses and I'm really uncomfortable about that too. I just wanted to know if these things could be fixed somehow or if this is really out of the ordinary.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
Women normally have a pelvic mound - a rounded, fatty area where the pubic hair grows. This is normal. Perhaps your clothing is too tight.

The labia minora is inside the labia majora. Are you saying that it protrudes outside the "lips"? When a woman's labia seems uneven or too large there is cosmetic surgery to alter this. At your age I would recommend waiting to see how things adjust as you continue to mature - a process that in women can continue to age 19 though often it is completed around your age.

Try to be patient about this or discuss it with your family doctor to see if your development is on schedule or if there are concerns that should be addressed.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here