Question: Painful intercourse after pregnancy w/ C-section delivery

jvcvaughn - Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

I have googled my symptoms and even asked my doctor about this and I think I'm the only person in the world with this problem! After I first got married and got over the initial pain of being a virgin, I enjoyed intercourse. However, since pregnancy, I have pain at the entrance site and sometimes deep. No, I didn't tear because I had C-sections. What's crazy is that if I'm fully aroused it will hurt a little bit, but then goes away and I can enjoy it, although after its over I will feel some burning type pain. But, believe me, if I'm not aroused, it is agony! If I can self-diagnose, I believe that because of my prolapsed uterus that I had during pregnancy and from carrying my babies low that I developed veins in my private area. This is my question: Is there something that can be done to treat these, or will I just have to endure them for the rest of my life? Or maybe it's something totally different? When I asked my OB doctor, she examined me and said I looked "normal" and said just to take our time with foreplay. But I remember being able to have "quickies" and enjoy them during our early married years. Thanks in advance for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun May 24, 2009 1:02 am

Sometimes our bodies change and we have to adapt. It is unrealistic to assume we will always have the same level of sexuality, enjoyment or even orgasms that we once had. You will need to be flexible and adapt to various hormonal changes that occur throughout your lifetime. It may or may not have been because of the delivery that something has been altered with you. It is also possible you have developed vaginismus or even a psychologically caused sexual problem.

I suspect your doctor feels this is something you can overcome with patience and sensitivity as a couple since there is no obvious physiological problem.

If this was related to prolapsed uterus or other physical defect, your doctor would have identified this.

|