Question: 10 Weeks Pregnant;have One Meal A Day.is It Harmful For Baby

TWyPGn - Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Hello, I am 10 weeks pregnant, and have been quite stressed out and crying almost 2-3 hours everyday because of domestic problems. So I am having one small meal a day for past few days because of stress (even though I felt hungry). Now I am not feeling hungry at all, where as before I felt hungry all the time and ate a lot. I had a miscarriage from my first pregnancy. In that I stopped feeling hungry at the end of my first trimester. Is the baby alright and still alive? Should I worry and consult my OB/GYN asap? Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 02, 2009 11:27 pm

While eating a healthy diet helps to ensure a healthy pregnancy, there are several factors to consider.

If you were overweight prior to pregnancy, your body has some fat stores and the baby will not suffer with one meal a day. Some women, due to nausea and vomiting actually lose weight at the beginning, yet the baby usually does fine in spite of the stress on the mother. It is not recommended that you lose weight in pregnancy but eating a limited diet would not likely cause your baby to die.

I would encourage you to try to find someone to talk to - a therapist, counselor, clergyman, or someone else you trust- about the problems you are having. Stress hormones are felt to not be good for your baby either so it is important to try to find solutions for your problems if possible. But, even in stress, most pregnancies fare fine overall. I would encourage you to eat a little more, gradually increasing amounts while choosing healthy foods. Hopefully your appetite will pick up but until then do it for the baby as well as yourself.

Hopefully you are also taking a multivitamin and getting prenatal care. These things are important.

|