News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Beta hcg results after a blighted ovum /nervous

mrshollyberry - Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Hello! I'm 40 as of January 2009. I have pco. I conceived my son, 8 yrs with metformin and clomid. My daughter I conceived 10 months after my son was born on metformin alone. Periods have been normal 30-32 cycle since my son. Where as before needed provera. After 20 yrs of marriage, am divorced and in a new relationship. I conceived in Aug of 2008. It turned out to be a blighted ovum at 8 weeks. Had cytotech pills for "chemical" D&C. THat was in oct 2008. Jan 2009 may have had a chemical pg. I just found out last week that I am pregnant again (yay!!) Was getting worried it would not happen. LMP was march 24. I ovulated on April 7. I had a 29 day cycle with the march period. On 14 days post ovulation (dpo) I took a HPT and it was positive. Was not expecting it, though trying. I took a second with the same first morning urine, positive. I took a clear blue easy digital with afternoon urine and it said pregnant before the 3 minutes were up!! My beta hcg levels that same day was 90. It was 14 dpo, It seems I implanted on 9dpo, so it was about 4 days after that that I tested positive. 48 hours later, my beta was up to 302. the web site I used for calculations said they are doubling every 21 hours. Is this all normal or could I possibly have twins??? Very strong on my side ( sister has frat. twns without fertility drugs, so does paternal aunt, and maternal great aunts etc) fiancee's mom had two sets of them. Iam just so worried that I'm getting my hopes up and it happen again. I have heartburn which I never have, I lost 68 lbs before this pg and eat very healthy. I have nausea and actually vomited yesterday, fatigue, swollen, sore, tingly breasts, a lot of bloating, yellow/white lotion-type vaginal discharge, frequent urination. Thanks for any help you can give on these levels. I take another hcg tomorrow and will be 5 weeks on tues, april 28. I will relax when I see the sonogram with the baby and heartbeat!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 02, 2009 6:42 pm

User avatar Hello,
Congratulations! It would be impossible to say on hcg levels alone. While rapidly increasing numbers can suggest twins, it does not necessarily so better not to get your hopes up but be pleasantly surprised if it does happen.

If your levels continue to be high your doctor may suggest an ultrasound for confirmation.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here