Question: Hyperthyroidism diagnosed and I am pregnant

amos2004 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:13 am

Hi there
I was recently told by my doctor that my thyroid levels were high. He is currently trying to refer me to another doctor and has not spoke to me since.
I am currently 35 weeks pregnant, I was wondering if anyone knows side effects on the baby from having this. Is it common for your levels to increase when pregnant?
The doctor did not tell me what the numbers were but wondering with high or low levels of hyperthyroidism and what are the possible effects so I am prepared if anything is to come up. Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Hormones of pregnancy can cause hyperthyroid symptoms so this complicates the diagnosis. Since you are nearing delivery I don't expect any serious problems, though I'm sure the doctor will monitor your baby once it is born for any possible thyroid disturbance, as occasionally occurs with Grave's disease, an autoimmune disorder that causes the thyroid to be out of control.

Your doctor will probably be following up to determine the type of hyperthyroidism you have and treatment is likely to be delayed until delivery and further testing to see if it is caused by pregnancy hormones.

Nursing mothers with hyperthyroid should be able to safely nurse on medications which were once considered to be a problem. Newer studies indicated that it is safe since the concentration of drug that enters the breast milk is quite low.

I would not be alarmed but it's always wise to watch such changes that occur.

Best wishes and good luck with the delivery.

|