News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Risks on taking pill irregurlarly?

sariala - Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 am

I started taking the contraceptive pill without any assessment by a gyn about 3 years ago because i feared -and indeed have experienced- the condom breaking. I take it about 5,6 days before + fewer days after sexual contact (we know in advance when we might have sex), no matter where in my cycle i am, and this happens about 6 times a year (the fact that i don't need protection every day is why i don't take the pill all over the cycle). I have also taken the day-after pill twice in these 3 years. Am i doing terrible things to my body with these abrupt on-offs, gaining no real protection vs pregnancy?
Thanks,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 02, 2009 6:29 pm

User avatar Hello,
Oral contraceptives are not intended to be "as needed." In order for them to prevent ovulation, as is their intent, you must take them throughout the cycle, regardless of how often you have sex.

You will not hurt your body but you will alter the effectiveness of your birth control method and you definitely risk an unintended pregnancy.

Plan B is also not intended to be a birth control method. The hormone levels are higher, it has more side effects, and can alter your cycles, making it harder to determine if you do become pregnant.

If you want hormonal birth control you can rely on you must take the pill daily, wear the patch as directed, use an IUD, implant or vaginal ring with exactness. If you only want birth control when it is "needed" you should use condoms or perhaps a diaphragm.

This is because of the way it works. Missed pills can result in ovulation, probably when you would not even be aware it was happening, and conception can occur. This is why a backup method is recommended if you miss more than one pill in a cycle.

Best wishes.
 sariala - Sun May 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks for your thorough response. Now i will meet a physician -finally- to discuss all these options :) Greetings,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here