Question: Risks on taking pill irregurlarly?

sariala - Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 am

I started taking the contraceptive pill without any assessment by a gyn about 3 years ago because i feared -and indeed have experienced- the condom breaking. I take it about 5,6 days before + fewer days after sexual contact (we know in advance when we might have sex), no matter where in my cycle i am, and this happens about 6 times a year (the fact that i don't need protection every day is why i don't take the pill all over the cycle). I have also taken the day-after pill twice in these 3 years. Am i doing terrible things to my body with these abrupt on-offs, gaining no real protection vs pregnancy?
Thanks,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Oral contraceptives are not intended to be "as needed." In order for them to prevent ovulation, as is their intent, you must take them throughout the cycle, regardless of how often you have sex.

You will not hurt your body but you will alter the effectiveness of your birth control method and you definitely risk an unintended pregnancy.

Plan B is also not intended to be a birth control method. The hormone levels are higher, it has more side effects, and can alter your cycles, making it harder to determine if you do become pregnant.

If you want hormonal birth control you can rely on you must take the pill daily, wear the patch as directed, use an IUD, implant or vaginal ring with exactness. If you only want birth control when it is "needed" you should use condoms or perhaps a diaphragm.

This is because of the way it works. Missed pills can result in ovulation, probably when you would not even be aware it was happening, and conception can occur. This is why a backup method is recommended if you miss more than one pill in a cycle.

sariala - Sun May 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks for your thorough response. Now i will meet a physician -finally- to discuss all these options :) Greetings,

|