Question: Horrible Urethra Pain Upon Penetration

lauravasic - Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:23 am

For the last few months, every time I insert a tampon or penetration happens, shooting pains happen from a spot around my urethra and vaginal opening. It feels like something is being stretched. I first thought that my urethra had somehow fallen and the stretching was really me forcing things into my urethra but that doesn't make sense. It doesn't hurt all the time. Just when something hits this one area. Bleeding also occurs. I told my doctor about this and he put me on medication for a yeast infection. I'm almost done with the yeast infection medication and the pain is still as worse as ever. I'm not a virgin so the pain has nothing to do with that...I'm just so frustrated. This just started happening one night out of the blue. I'm afraid that if I go to a gynecologist, the pain isn't going to happen because it only happens when something medium or big is inserted and I'm going to be told 'it's all my head' (as another woman with this problem was told). Could you please help me?

Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 20, 2009 6:21 pm

It is important to see a doctor because they can determine if you get pain with the insertion of a speculum so they should be able to reproduce your experience. You may have vulvodynia (painful vulva) or vaginitis, which could result from an infection. The treatment for yeast is a good first course since that is so common. I wish it had solved your problems. But, there are other types of infection as well as hormonal changes that can cause this pain.

In some cases physical therapy can work by affecting the central nervous system or muscles. Medications sometimes help (hormones, gabapentin, tricyclic antidepressants are a few types) and biofeedback can make a difference. There are other measures to treat the pain as well so don't hesitate to find a good gynecologist, experienced in this problem.

|