Question: Fertility

kimmi39 - Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:33 am

Okay not sure how to go about this so I’m just going to come out with it and say what’s on my mind. I am now 39 years old and only have one child. I had two miscarriages before I had my son which will be 21 this year. When I was younger I was a little on the wild side and was seeing this one guy off and on that ended up giving me Chlamydia and something else. I don’t even remember what it was I was very young and didn’t really realize how bad things like this can be. Anyways I have not gotten pregnant since I had these std’s and that was 19 to 20 years ago and I have never taken anything not to get pregnant. I figure I was probably sterilized from these diseases. I never really paid attention to it because I was never at the point of wanting another child. I am not getting any younger, my son is grown and I have found someone that I would really like to have a child with. I was really really overweight for a long time and thought maybe that might of had something to do with it but I wasnt overweight right away and I never got pregnant so I know that isn’t it. Is there any home tests out there that you can take to test your fertility and if I am sterile from this is there anything that can be done about it? I’m not rich but I’m not poor either but I can’t afford any big bills to get pregnant and I really want a baby bad. It’s to the point that I stay depressed all the time because I can’t get pregnant. Anyone that has any suggestions or help out there I would really appreciate it.

Shelly S, RN - Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:22 pm

Hi, I have a suggestion. Try an ovulation predictor kit. Usually, you can get 5 sticks in a package for around 12 to 15 dollars. Follow the instructions in the package. The ovulation predictor kits will tell you if you are in fact ovulating. The sticks detect a hormone in your urine called LH (Luteinizing Hormone). When you detect the LH surge, it helps you to time sexual intercourse better to increase chances of pregnancy. Another way that is FREE and will give you an idea if you are ovulating is basal body temping. Go to http://www.fertilityfriend.com for an explanation of this process. If you are still having no luck, the only option would be a reproductive specialist. Please keep in mind, even healthy couples with no health problems can take up to one year to conceive a child.

Shelly, ORT, SN
 HeatherJ - Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:20 pm

Kimmi,
I am not a doctor but have been trying to have a baby for almost 2 years. Our first.
Like the other poster, I would also buy Ovulation Predictor Kits. I wanted to let you know that I order mine online at http://www.ibabydust.com - I get about 15 test strips for about $15.00 or less - In store they are a lot more expensive, I suggest finding some online and ordering just the strips.
I also use Fertility Friend website and have been charting my BB Temps each morning.
I am on my 3rd IUI with Clomid and HCG Trigger shot. Hoping that this 3rd one works.
Otherwise Will try naturally as inusrance does not cover IVF.
Anyways, thas just my inf and wanted to tell you Good Luck ! :) .

|